According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “In 2019, 7.1% of adults aged 45 and over used a hearing aid.” If you’re among this population and you have a pet from the Southern Oregon Humane Society or elsewhere, it’s important that you take steps to keep both your hearing aids and your pets safe from one another. Not only can a pet damage your hearing aids, but if ingested, a hearing aid battery can pose a serious threat to your pet’s health and safety. In this post we review how to keep both your hearing health investment and your furry friend safe.
How to Store Your Hearing Aids
When you’re not wearing your hearing aids, store them somewhere both safe and consistent. They should not be accessible to pets; you should choose somewhere high up where they cannot reach or in a drawer that remains closed. (Also note that you should not choose a hot location like a windowsill or a humid location like your bathroom.) Consistency is also important so you’ll know right away if they go missing.
How to Store Your Batteries
New and old batteries should both be stored in containers with snap-tight lids. Be sure to label each container clearly so you’re not putting dead batteries in your hearing aids by accident.
Once you have time, take the old batteries to a recycling center. Never dispose of them in the trash can because your pet can rummage through it and consume the batteries. They are still extremely hazardous even if they no longer have power.
Signs Your Pet Ingested a Hearing Aid or Battery
If you’re suspicious that your pet ingested a hearing aid or battery, look for the following signs:
- They won’t eat or drink, or they try but can’t swallow.
- They’re vomiting or drooling.
- Their tongue is red or their skin is gray.
- They’re whimpering as if in pain.
These signs may not show up until up to 12 hours after they’ve ingested the battery.
What If Your Pet Does Ingest a Hearing Aid or Battery
As soon as you notice the signs, take your pet to an emergency veterinarian clinic. Check what kind of batteries they ingested so the vet knows what to do.
For more information about keeping your hearing aids away from your pet or to schedule an appointment with a hearing aid expert, call Oregon Ear, Nose & Throat Center today.